Tuesday 12 May 2015

Being organised. Double Trouble. Moroccan warm salad.



West or southwest 5 or 6, becoming variable 4 later.
Slight or moderate.
Showers at first.
Moderate or good.


For someone who takes cooking seriously, I am awfully unorganized. Take yesterday: You don’t make Sushi if you have not checked that you have the basics. Like Wasabi. Yes, I assumed I have Wasabi since I always have Wasabi. But assuming is not good enough.
Or today. I set out to do a Middle Eastern chickpea and aubergine salad. Mental check: Yep, should have everything. “Should” is not have. Sure, I always have chickpeas so there is no reason to assume I have none. However you don’t have chickpeas if you have run out this time and not replaced them yet.
So what you do if everything is already on the way and you need to adjust quickly? Make something new up. In this case I switched from Chickpeas to a pouch of Red and White Quinoa, Chilli and Cumin made way to Baharat  and I used a new Harissa. A Moroccan inspired Quinoa Aubergine salad.

Honestly, what kind of stupid nerd has Baharat, Quinoa and different types of Harissa but no chickpeas when she sets out to make a chickpea salad *grumble, mumble, swears under breath*.

The recipe is fairly easy and I was eager to try out the new Harissa which I bought in France. While I normally swear by the Harissa Le Phare du Cap Bon from Tunisia, I was curious in regards to the little pot of Samia Harissa.

Some kind of vaguely Moroccan Quinoa warm(ish) Salad

1/2 aubergine, cut into 2cm thick rounds, then into half moons
3 cloves of garlic, peeled but left whole
1 tbsp Harissa paste (preferable Le Phare du Cap Bon)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pouch Merchant Gourmet red and white Quinoa (precooked, 250gr)
1 good pinch of Baharat
1 shallot, finely sliced
3 slices of Halloumi
Grated zest and ½ teaspoon of lemon juice
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Tiny pinch of salt
Handful of spinach leaves or rocket (I had spinach, but can see rocket working as well)
A bit more Harissa for topping (optional)

1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Put the aubergines and garlic in a bowl with 1 tbsp of Harissa and 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Toss well, and leave for few minutes. Carefully lift out with a slotted spoon, leaving the Harissa mixture behind and put it into a roasting tin and roast for 20-25 minutes until tender and golden. Add the Quinoa and the Baharat to the Harissa paste, coat and add to the roasting tin for the last 4-5 minutes of the cooking time. Turn oven off and let it cool down slightly with the oven door open.
2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, pour boiling water over the shallot and set aside for 5 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold water, then set aside.
3. Remove the roasting tin from the oven and put the contents, plus the onion, in a serving bowl. Top with the spinach leaves and carefully mix them under. They will cook ever so slightly without losing their bite.
Heat the 1tsp of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the Halloumi on both sides
4. Whisk the lemon zest and  lemon juice with the rest of the olive oil and the tiny pinch of salt (remember Halloumi is quite salty); then pour the dressing over the contents of the serving bowl. Toss gently, top with the Halloumi and a bit more Harissa (optional) and serve.

Verdict:

First attempt:
I took one bite...
and spat it out. Inedible, far too salty; and believe me, I can take a lot of salt.
So how can that be? The ingredients itself are innocent, and I really only took a tiny pinch of salt.
But then I looked closer at my new jar of Samia Harissa. They don’t say it exactly, but if you do the math on the ingredients you realize it has blooming 12% salt. Yep, 50gr of Harissa (and I had probably a bit more since I like it spicy and was generous with the topping), gives you 6gr of salt. About a full teaspoon. Your full daily recommended intake in a small and light lunch. Plus the salt from the dressing and the Halloumi.

It went into the bin, together with the Harissa and I started again.

Second attempt:
It was actually very nice and I was not too angry about the chickpeas anymore. The toasted Quinoa added a very nice crunch and the Baharat gave it a lovely oriental undertone which worked brilliant with my good old trusted Harissa. The grilled aubergines went very well with the spinach leaves and Halloumi complimented it.
A keeper.
My most Guardianista recipe ever *rolls eyes*


No comments:

Post a Comment