Monday 27 April 2015

Intermezzo. Season to taste. Too much salt





Northwesterly backing southwesterly 5 or 6.
Slight or moderate. Showers. Good.






Season to taste. Nothing scares the bejesus more out of a home cook than this expression. What does it mean? When is too much no longer acceptable?
If you, like me, cooked for decades for 4, you have it in the tip of your fingers. First taste, a pinch to start. You don’t weigh it, you know how much is in a pinch. You know how many grinds of your pepper mill give a good result.
Fact is, for the last 10 days, my food was oversalted. I still used my old trusted pinch. But I no longer cook for 4, I cook for one. My pinch is no longer valid. I use too much pepper. It frustrates me.
Last night`s recipe was awesome. I have no doubt that YO `s recipe was spot on. For 4. It was still awesome for one. But I used too much salt, despite the fact that I restricted myself. I used my pinch.
Looks like I need to re-educate my fingers what a pinch means for a one person dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment